From the archives, 1950: Original junior college building eyed for demolition

100 Years, 100 Stories

The Junior College of Kansas City, as MCC was once known, moved from downtown to a former junior high building in Westport in 1941 (or possibly ’42, as this Kansas City Star article states). By 1950, the Kansas City school board, which ran the college, was wondering what to do with the building at 11th and Locust streets, which had once been Central High School.

One of the alternatives for the 11th and Locust location, which was being used for storage, was to level it and turn it into … yes, a parking lot.

We’re not sure what the school board decided, but today the space on the southeast corner of 11th and Locust streets is home to Kansas City Municipal Court, just across the street from (east of) City Hall.

Related stories:

From the archives, 1915: KC’s ‘first city college’ opens downtown

From the archives, 1947: Happy times at ‘the old junior college’

Click the article below to see it bigger.

KC Star 1947 the old Junior College_Page_5