There are events for all interests and ages at MCC-Longview April 16 through 22 celebrating the 100th anniversary of Metropolitan Community College, including the popular Kite Festival, a reception for the MCC-Longview Alumni and a baseball game where the first MCC-Longview Family of the Year will be recognized.
Thurs., April 16 – MCC-Longview Spring Convocation (featuring the Community Read Event)
The public is invited to join this discussion of “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” – the story of an African-American farmer whose cancer cells led to groundbreaking medical innovations without her knowledge, permission or compensation. Lacks family members will be featured speakers at the convocation.
Sponsored by the Center for Practical Bioethics, Truly 150 Lee’s Summit, Mid-Continent Public Library, John Knox Village
5 pm public reception, 6 pm speakers, The Pavilion at John Knox Village,
RSVPs at mcckc.edu/lvhomecoming, for a head count, but there will be plenty of seating, free
Sat., April 18 – Flights of Fancy Kite Festival
Experience hundreds of kites up in the air at the ninth annual Kite Festival. Families, picnics and personal kites are welcome. There will be local food vendors and professional kite flying at this unique event. The centennial balloon release of 100 balloons by mayors and community members of Lee’s Summit, Grandview and Belton, and representatives of Truly 150, will be at 1:30 pm.
Sat., April 18 – Classic Car Show
On the ground, classic cars bring another dimension to the festive day as car enthusiasts share their classic pieces of history.
10 am – 5 pm, MCC-Longview grounds, free
Sun., April 19 – MCC-Longview Lakers Student Family Day
Baseball Doubleheader vs. Garden City CC
Come cheer on Laker baseball! Spring means baseball and we’ve got a great team. Between games we’ll recognize The MCC-Longview’s Family of the Year, the national champion 2007 team, and enjoy other entertainment. Families are welcome and the the tailgate will begin one hour before the game with prizes and free food.
11 am refreshments, noon game, 1:30 pm family presentation, The MCC-Longview Baseball complex, free
Mon., April 20 – Laker Spirit Day
Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to wear MCC-Laker Blue and show the spirit. The campus Bookstore will allow students to bring in a shirt from another school and trade for a Laker shirt from the book store (while supplies last). Traded-in shirts will be donated to a local nonprofit clothes closet.
Campus Bookstore, all day
Tues., April 21 – Retiree Reception
All MCC-Longview retirees are invited back to reconnect, reminisce and rejoice.
1:30 – 3 pm, Longview Education Center, RSVP to Sharon Pyant, 604-2144, firstname.lastname@example.org, free
Tues., April 21 – President’s Panel
Alumni, retirees and employees are welcome to come hear from former MCC-Longview presidents as they share their historical perspectives and anecdotes during their time on campus.
3:30 – 4:30 pm, Longview Cultural Arts Center, free
Tues., April 21 – Alumni Reception
All MCC-Longview alumni are welcome back on campus to visit and connect with others.
5 – 6 pm, Longview Cultural Arts Center, RSVP at mcckc.edu/lvhomecoming, free
Wed., April 22 – Earth Service Day
Students, faculty and staff are invited to join in on this day filled with activities and information that’s all about being green, even if you are Laker Blue!
- 9 am – 12:30 pm, between CC and BU (CC first floor Student Union in case of rain) – Bridging the Gap Exhibit. Fun, helpful information from on recycling and energy-saving. Stop by and win prizes!
- 11 am – 1 pm, CC first floor Student Union – Grow Some Green. Did you know Longview is in the Monarch butterfly flyway and Monarch numbers are in steep decline? Come adopt and plant some milkweed (their favorite food) and support the Monarchs!
- 11:50 to 12:30 between CC and BU (CC first floor Student Union in case of rain) – Recycling/Trash Archeology “Dig”. What’s in your trash? More recyclables than you realize. Zombies come out to illustrate how much of our real trash we can keep out of landfills. It’s downright apocalyptic!
- Noon – 2 pm, at the flower beds behind the Campus Center (rescheduled in case of rain)– Get Dirty with Longview Botanists. Longview botanists will work with students to prepare and plant more green on campus.
- 1:30 – 2:30 pm, meet at the circle driveway near the flagpoles (rescheduled in case of rain)– Adopt-a-Highway litter pick up. Help clean up Longview’s newly-adopted roadway that runs right beside the campus. Wear old clothes and we’ll provide the gloves and trash bags! Sign the required waivers beforehand in the office of Campus Life & Leadership.
There will be opportunities for students to pick up trash, sort recycling, plant some flowers, and commit to being greener every day. Contact Jim McGraw, counseling, 604-2313, or Keet Kopecky, biology, 604-2353, to volunteer.
Wed., April 22 – “Couples” Student Theatre Performance
The play is a collection of short two-character comedies and dramas about love, lust, romance and relationships, featuring Longview students. Public is invited.
7:30 pm, Longview Cultural Arts Center theatre, free for Longview students with ID