100 Years, 100 Stories
Metropolitan Community College began as the Kansas City Polytechnic Institute and was established by the Kansas City Board of Education on May 29th, 1915 as the first public institution of higher education in Kansas City. Classes began on September 7, 1915 with 200 students.
In the beginning, the Institute included a junior college, a teacher training school, a high school, a mechanic arts school, a trade school, a business training school and a nurse training school. The junior college division became the most popular. The division’s curriculum mirrored the exact course offerings that the college of arts and sciences at the universities offered. Eventually the high school division split off to join the Manual Training High School and the Trade school division joined the Lathrop School of Mechanical Trades.
With the Junior College division attracting so many students, the Institute officially changed its name to the Junior College of Kansas City in 1919.
Below is a copy of the announcements from May of 1920 that references the official name change.