Gold collar jobs—technical careers that pay well, are in high demand and require fewer than four years of training—are the focus of a traveling exhibit currently on display at the Kansas City Public Library.
The exhibit, which is accompanied by a workshop series, was developed by Metropolitan Community College-Business & Technology. The project explores how to land a so-called gold collar job with an associate’s degree or less.
The workshops, 10 Gold Collar Jobs in KC and 10 Things That Get You Hired and 10 Things That Get Your Fired, are being presented through October at four KC Public Library locations – North-East, Trails West, Bluford, and Southeast. The exhibit, which is being displayed at the various library branches, includes tools, machines and examples from gold collar jobs, such as a frozen HVAC sign; car parts fabricated on a 3-D printer; welded pipes that withstand pressures of 3,500 psi; and equipment used to clean up hazardous chemical spills.
Gold collar jobs are defined as: having average wages of $30k-$70k per year; seeing 10+% job growth (according to the U.S. Department of Labor); requiring an associate’s degree or less for entry; requiring high skill; and being in strong local demand.
Examples of gold collar jobs and careers:
1. HVAC (29+% growth, $43k/yr average)
2. Network and Computer Systems Administrator (20-28% growth, $72k/yr average)
3. Industrial Machinery Mechanic (20-28% growth, $52k/yr average)
4. Environmental Engineering Technician (20-28% growth, $47k/yr average)
5. Electrical Powerline Installer and Repairer (10-19% growth, $63k/yr average)
6. Mechanical, Civil, Architectural Drafter (10-19% growth, $47k/yr average)
7. CNC Machine Tool Programmer (10-19% growth, $45k/yr average)
8. Welder, Cutter, Solderer, and Brazer (10-19% growth, $36k/yr average)
9. Automotive Service Technician/Mechanic (10-19% growth, $36k/yr average)
10. Construction Manager (10-19% growth, $82k/yr average)
Below is the full schedule of workshops and exhibits at the Kansas City Public Library:
TRAILS WEST BRANCH 11401 E. 23rd St.
Thur., August 15 at 6:30 p.m. 10 Gold Collar Jobs
Thur., August 29 at 6:30 p.m. 10 Things That Get You Hired
Exhibit on display Aug. 1 – 30
L. H. BLUFORD BRANCH 3050 Prospect
Wed., September 18 at 6:30 p.m. 10 Gold Collar Jobs
Wed., September 25 at 6:30 p.m. 10 Things That Get You Hired
Exhibit on display Sept. 1 – 29
SOUTHEAST BRANCH 6242 Swope Pkwy
Thur., October 10 at 6 p.m. 10 Gold Collar Jobs
Thur., October 17 at 6 p.m. 10 Things That Get You Hired
Exhibit on display Oct. 1 – 31
Learn more about gold collar jobs and RSVP for workshops by visiting a Kansas City Public Library branch or visit www.kclibrary.org/events. To learn about MCC programs that lead to gold collar jobs, go to www.mcckc.edu/visit to schedule a visit to an MCC campus or call Alex Grigsby, MCC-Business & Technology outreach coordinator, at 816.604.5446.