Scholar students from the MCC-Longview chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, Kappa Tau, traveled across the state for the regional PTK convention in St. Charles, Mo. and came away with several accolades.
The chapter earned two prestigious chapter awards:
- the Five Star Chapter Development Award, the highest recognition for a chapter fulfilling scholarship, leadership, and service requirements; and
- the Honors in Action Project Hallmark, which is awarded to only three chapters, for a project entitled Go Girl, which dealt with empowering, encouraging and enlightening others to strive to achieve their goals in life.
The group returned with several individual awards as well:
- Mark Buergler won the Distinguished Chapter Officer Award for service he provided as vice president at large for the chapter;
- Margaret Berter and Jan Rog won Horizon Awards for work performed as advisors for the chapter and the Missouri Region; and
- Jan Rog also won the Paragon Award for service provided as an advisor serving 4 or fewer years.
Then, at the PTK national convention in San Jose, Cal., the chapter earned yet another honor:
Fred Grogan, MCC-Longview president, was honored with the Michael Bennett Lifetime Achievement Award. The award is presented to retiring college presidents and other top administrators who have been supportive of Phi Theta Kappa. MCC-Longview’s Kappa Tau chapter leaders nominated Grogan in recognition of his service to MCC-Longview. Chapter leaders wrote of Grogan’s consistent championing of support for student-enriching programs and the goal of student success in all he does.
“When I speak with Dr. Grogan,” said one student, “I am seen, heard, appreciated. I am valued and encouraged.”
Grogan gratefully accepted the award at the San Jose convention.
“Although receiving the award in front of several thousand PTK members and advisors at the national convention was thrilling,” said Grogan, “the most satisfying aspect of receiving the Michael Bennett Lifetime Achievement Award was being nominated by our Kappa Tau chapter. Our chapter is one of the most active and successful in the nation. They are a talented and hard-working group of students whom I very much admire. I am humbled by their appreciation.”
Congratulations to Kappa Tau and Dr. Grogan for your outstanding achievements!