Sign-up now for Metropolitan Community College-Blue River’s All for the Children 5K Run/Walk taking place on Saturday, March 24 at 8:30 a.m. Proceeds from the 5K go toward funding the All for the Children child abuse awareness and prevention day at MCC-Blue River, which takes place the same day as the Run/Walk.
“Nearly five children die every day in the United States due to child abuse and neglect,” says All for the Children coordinator and MCC-Blue River professor Kim Glackin. “There are factors that contribute to child abuse, including poverty, financial stresses, lack of knowledge among adults about parenting skills and child development and the use of drugs and alcohol around children. About 80 percent of them are under the age of four. Our community can protect its children by educating parents about parenting and child development, and by building community support for children and their families,” Glackin said. “Children who have been abused are 60 percent more likely to be arrested for criminal behavior.”
All for the Children features a resource fair and 10,000 Eggstravaganza egg hunt! Taking part in the 5K can help fund the All for the Children event and contribute to your overall heart health.
- When: Saturday, March 24, at 8:30 a.m. (check-in begins at 7:30 a.m. in the MCC-Blue River Campus Center)
- Location: MCC-Blue River Campus, 20301 East 78 Highway, Independence, MO 64057
- $20 for current MCC students
- $25 for general registration
- $30 for general registration after March 9
- $10 for kids under 12
- Please register by March 9, 2018 for a guaranteed race t-shirt.
This is a chipped timed run/walk! Medals will be given for the fastest overall male and female times, as well as for the top male and female finishers in the following age categories: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 and over.
5K Registration Options:
- Print out this registration form and return it to Dave Owens in the MCC-Blue River Campus Life and Leadership office (AS113). Payment information and return address are on the form.
- Register and pay online at the main All for the Children website: http://mcckc.edu/events/all-for-the-children/
For more information, please contact Dave Owens at David.Owens@mcckc.edu, 816.604.6426 (office) or 816.437.1958 (cell).