The following campus sessions have been scheduled to assist content experts in completing the evaluations for the programs on your campus. Reinhard Weglarz will lead these sessions which will be a small part presentation and large part Q&A.
All sessions will be from 2-3 p.m.
- Longview, Monday, January 23, Mel Aytes Education Center
- Blue River, Tuesday, January 24, EC110
- Maple Woods, Wednesday, January 25, Arbor Room, MW Campus Center, Room 110
- Penn Valley and Administrative Center, Friday, January 27, EC0019
- Business and Technology, Monday, January 30, CC248/249
Below is an outline of the information presentated at the ZBB Campus Trainings. To view a video of each section, click here.
Content Expert Training – Completing the program evaluation (PowerPoint Ouline)Agenda
- What is ZBB
- Why ZBB
- The Process
- Review Evaluation Criteria
What is ZBB?
- It is an alternative approach to budgeting used mostly by government and non-profit sectors. Under ZBB you are required to justify all budget expenditures. It is ranking system of programs against one another as it relates to MCC’s guiding principles.
- Strategically allocate our resources to maximize student success
- Raise our academic profile
- Create financial stability
- Position MCC for growth
The ZBB Process at MCC
- Approximately 250 programs in total
Academic programs & Administrative programs
Multiplied by the number of locations with the program
- Beta programs at MCC are sociology at LV and MW, benefits and recruiting in HR and radiologic technology and nursing at HSI
- Now – Program review teams are formed with approximately 25-30 people
- Nov-Feb 29th 2012– Program content experts are assigned to complete the program evaluation and submit to the Academic and Administrative review teams
- Mar-May 31st – Academic and Administrative program review teams review and rank each program. Reviews/Recommendations are then sent to the BRT
- June – July – The BRT reviews the recommendations, requests clarity, as necessary, and submits the review to the Cabinet.
- August – The Cabinet does one final review finalizes recommendations.
- Sep-Nov – The Chancellor has the final approval and then the finance team overlays the budget to the ZBB plans.
- December – The new ZBB budget goes to the board for approval in December 2012.
- Recent Changes
Criterion 1: History, Development And Expectations
- Original Purpose
- Historical Change In Purpose
- Anticipated Future Changes
Criterion 2: External Demand
- Key Users
- Anticipated Change In Demand
- Course Schedule And Program Demand – Academic Only
- Enrollment Data Template – Academic Only
Criterion 3: Internal Demand
- Interaction With Other Programs
- Service Overlap
- Other Institution Dependencies– Academic Only
Criterion 4: Program Inputs
- Training And Knowledge
Criterion 5: Program Outputs
- Faculty Reviews – IR Can Provide
- Enrollment Data Template – Academic Only
Criterion 6: Size, Scope And Productivity
- Created Efficiencies
- Org Chart – Reflective Of FY2011
- How many people served
Criterion 7: Revenues And Expenses
- Financial Data Collection Form
FY2009, FY2010, FY2011
General Ledger Expense Amounts By Deptid Provided
Calculated Tuition/Revenue To Be Provided
Revenue/Expense Can Be Split Across Programs
Employees Paid To The Deptid Available Online
Additional Information On Salaries/Benefits Can Be Provided By HR (See Handout For Process)
- Include Upcoming Purchases/Expenses
Criterion 8: Impact, Justification, Essentiality
- Program Relation To ZBB Guiding Principles And Strategic Plan/Mission
- Relation To Other Programs
Criterion 9: Opportunity Analysis – Operational
- Automation, Outsourcing, Consolidation, Etc.
- Possible Additional Revenue?
- Possible Cost Savings?
Criterion 10: Opportunity Analysis – Brainstorming
- What Should The Program Be Doing?
- Ideas To Make Program Exemplary – Provide Cost
- Restructure? – Think Outside The Box
- Expansion Of Services
- Supervisor’s Comments
Submitting the Evaluation
- Online System Created – (Available first week of December)
Metrosoft Finance System
Programs Loaded Into The System
Automatically Brings Up The Correct Template
Can Save And Return
Can Only Be Updated By Content Expert
Other Handouts Available
Narrative recap of ZBB and the process, continuous WIP
ZBB Budget Process – Flow chart format
The ZBB Training schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, November 9, BR, EC110
- Thursday, November 10, BTC, C248/49
- Monday, November 14, LV, CC241(Lecture Hall)
- Tuesday, November 15, PV, EC0006
- Wednesday, November 16, MW, Arbor Room
- Monday, November 21, AC, PVCC0503
These meetings will be facilitated by Patricia Amick, Reinhard Weglarz and Steve Frommelt and at least two or all three will be at each training session. All the sessions will be from 2-4 p.m..