One lucky MCC-BT student finishing semester with degree and $1600 toobox

From left: Graduation Advisor, Liz Prindle; HVAC/R graduate and toolbox winner, Caleb Dixon; and MCC-BT President, Debbie Goodall pose for a picture by Caleb’s new $1600 toolbox.

Caleb Dixon has recieved a Heating, Cooling, Ventilation, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) Job Ready Certificate, a One-Year Certificate, an Associate’s of Applied Science Degree, and now an enormous toolbox .

Caleb started working at Bob Hamilton Plumbing, Heating, A/C, and Rooter soon after starting the HVAC/R program at MCC-BT.  “I went to a Career Fair just a few weeks after starting the program, struck up a conversation with Bob Hamilton, and within a few days had a job as a Scapper – someone who tears apart old machines for recyclable material.  Right after I earned my Job Ready Certificate in December 2011, I was promoted to a Service Technician and I now visit homes and businesses to fix their machines,” said Caleb.  “Until now I would have said the HVAC/R instructors were the best part of coming to school here, but now I’m going to have to say that this sweet new toolbox is the best part for me.”

MCC-Business & Technology students that apply for graduation are entered in a drawing for a giant, red toolbox, donated by Grainger.  In 2011, MCC-BT received a donation of 21 large, red toolboxes from industrial supply company, Grainger – a value of over $30,000.  About half of the toolboxes were distributed to the high-tech labs at MCC-BT, and the other half were stashed as prizes to encourage students to apply for graduation.  In the past, some students that completed certificates and degrees did not apply to graduate and therefore are not counted in campus completion records.  This donation from Grainger has helped MCC-BT increase graduation rates significantly over the last few semesters.

Jason Pogue (Construction Management program) and Vincent Gregg (CADD program) were the second and third runners up for the drawing.  Each received a pair of movie passes.