Due to inclement weather on May 11, the Grogan Walk-Run was rescheduled for June 15.
Original story posted on May 4, 2016
Mark May 11 on the calendar for the fourth annual Grogan Walk-Run at Metropolitan Community College-Longview!
What is a Grogan and why is there a walk-run named in its honor?
Dr. Fred Grogan started his career at MCC in 1985 and most of those 28 years, he spent as an administrator at MCC-Longview. From 1998 to 2013. Grogan served as the campus president. He is also an avid runner. When Grogan retired in 2013, the MCC-Longview employees wanted to do something in his honor and the Grogan Walk-Run seemed like the perfect fit.
Donations are welcome and can be submitted to the business office in the enrollment center or a building volunteer. The money raised replenishes the MCC-Longview Flower Fund.
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016
- 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Start: Back patio of the MCC-Longview Recreation Center
- Finish: MCC-Longview Recreation Center parking lot
- Come walk when it’s convenient to your schedule
- Anyone intending to participate in the walk-run must sign a waiver. Anyone under the age of 18 must have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. Waiver forms will be available at the starting line.
Choose from two courses.
- There is a 2.5 mile walk-run that starts at the back patio of the recreation center, through part of Longview Lake Park, turn left at the Longview Chapel, down Longview Road, where you will go left at Gate 2, take a right by the MCC-Longview CAC and over to the Recreation Center.
- Or choose the 1 mile walk-run that starts at the back patio of the recreation center. Walk to the ½ mile marker and turn around and go back to the front of the Recreation Center.
About the MCC-Longview Flower Fund
The MCC-Longview Flower Fund is used to send flowers to an employee that is hospitalized for major surgeries, injuries or illnesses. Flowers are also purchased upon notification of the death of an employee, or an employee’s spouse, child or parent. Replenishment of the flower fund is ongoing and the Grogan Walk-Run is a major fundraiser.
If you’d like to volunteer, help is needed at the registration table or you can help Dr. Grogan and Dr. Nooks cheer on the participants as they cross the finish line at the Recreation Center parking lot. Come join the fun!!
Have questions? Contact one of the Grogan Walk-Run Committee members: (just click on their name for an email link)
The Grogan Walk-Run is sponsored by the MCC-Longview Staff Association.