I.W.I. participates in Digital Storytelling Forum

The MCC Institute for Workforce Innovation participated in a forum last month that was sponsored by Hallmark Cards and focused on a new initiative to expand the digital storytelling industry in the Midwest.

The Digital Storytelling Forum, held at the American Heartland Theatre, was presented by Hallmark in partnership with KCSourceLink, the Mid-America Regional Council, the University of Missouri’s Media of the Future program, the Full Employment Council, and the Reynolds Journalism Institute.

Representatives from I.W.I., in collaboration with the Mid-America Regional Council, gave a presentation on the workforce development projections for the digital storytelling industry.

Author and Wired magazine correspondent Frank Rose was the keynote speaker at the forum, which was open to creative and technical professionals, entrepreneurs, and education and workforce development agencies.  More than 220 people attended and an on-line live feed of the forum attracted more than 140 viewers.

Dr. Kevin Kelley, director of community and business development for I.W.I., presented labor research for the Kansas City area, illustrated by a digital story produced by MCC’s own creative talent which combined live action, graphics and animation. Hallmark has since asked I.W.I. to produce a version of this video for use in upcoming events and discussions regarding this workforce initiative.