BT student wins $1,600 toolbox

from left: Liz Prindle, Graduation Advisor; Debbie Goodall, MCC-BT President; Chad Johnson, welding student and toolbox winner; Jerome Richardson, Grainger KC Distribution Center Director

Each semester MCC-BT incentivizes students to apply for graduation by putting applicant names in a drawing for a $1,600 toolbox donated by Grainger.  Chad Johnson, welding student and 14 year employee at the Ford Claycomo plant, is our Spring 2013 winner.

Johnson had zero experience with a welder before starting MIG/TIG Welding certificate program at MCC-BT.

“My hobby is restoring old school Vespas.  I’m good with the mechanical, electrical, and body restoration, but prior to this program I had to hire someone else to weld and fabricate,” says, Johnson.  “By the time I graduate in May, I should be able to fix just about any scooter or small motorcycle in my garage.  Now, by the luck of the draw, I have an new GIANT toolbox to store some of my tools.”

Johnson chose layoff from the Claycomo plant last year to attend welding school.  He is attending MCC with WIA assistance.  When his layoff ends in July, Johnson will work in the newly built Claycomo stamping plant.

To learn more about past toolbox winners, click here.

To learn more about Grainger’s commitment to technical education, click here.