Anonymous donor keeps Special Juvenile Collection thriving

A special section of children’s books which are intended to help children cope with various difficulties in life keeps growing and thriving at MCC-Blue River due to the support of an anonymous donor from the community. While the books are in high demand, it is a challenge to keep the collection up to date.

The books deal with special problems facing children, such as parental divorce, understanding cancer and illness, bedwetting, and many other subjects that affect children’s lives differently than they affect adults. Many of the books in the Special Juvenile Collection have value as child psychology aids. Psychology Instructor Kim Glackin acts as a curator for the section. “There are a few books that have been requested numerous times. We have had a six month waiting list at times for ‘A Very Touching Book’, which is a wonderful book by Jan Hindman that talks about good touch, bad touch, and secret touch,” Glackin relates.

This collection helps parents to broach difficult topics that they are not necessarily comfortable handling on their own, so it has become a wonderful parenting aid available to students and staff. “We also received some books for children and adolescents on anxiety, mood, and panic attacks,” Glackin continues. These books help promote healthy families.

Below is a list of the new books in the Special Juvenile Collection at MCC-Blue River, which can also be placed on order at the other four campuses as well, so they can serve families in every corner of the greater Kansas City area.

A very touching book for little people and for big people Jan Hindman
ADHD and the college student: everything guide to your most urgent questions Patricia Quinn
All about Adoption: how families are made and how kids feel about it Marc Nemiroff
Chillax: how Ernie learns to chill out, relax and take charge of his anger Marcella Marino Craver
Depression is the pits, but I’m getting better: a guide for adolescents E. Jane Garland
I don’t know why, I guess I’m shy: a story about taming imaginary fears Barbara Cain
I don’t want to talk about it Jeanie Franz Ransom
My Anxious mind: a teen’s guide to managing anxiety and panic Michael Tompkins
My life by me: a kid’s forever book Beth Barber
My mom and dad don’t live together anymore: a drawing book for children of separated or divorced parents Judith Rubin
Night Light: a story for children afraid of the dark Jack Dutro
Sammy’s mommy has cancer Sherry Kohlenberg
Sex and babies: first facts Jane Annuziata
Sometimes I’m scared Jane Annuziata
The case of the wet bed (max archer, kid detective) Howard Bennett
The family book Todd Parr
The Flyaway blanket Allan Peterkin
Too Nice Marjorie White Pellegrino
What can I do: a divorce book of divorce Danielle Lowry
Do you sing Tinkle: a story about remarriage and new family Sandra Levins
I said No! a kid to kid guide to keeping your private parts private Kimberly King
New kid, new scene: a guide to moving and switching schools Debbie Glasser
Shy Spaghetti and excited eggs: a kid’s menu of feelings Marc Nemiroff
The right touch: a read-aloud story to help prevent child sexual abuse Sandy Kleven

Contact the MCC-Blue River Library circulation desk for more information at 816.604.6642 or library specialist Diane Martin at Diane.Martin@mcckc.edu.